Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pizza Magherita

I went to the newly-opened Tools of The Trade (ToTT) along Bukit Timah Road yesterday. Right opposite MGS, where I spent 10 great years of growing up! ToTT carries all sorts of cool shenanigans:  rice cookers large enough for me to sit in, a sous vide machine, about 10 different sizes of hand whisks! 

My catch of the day was a metal pizza peel with a wooden handle. I took it home (after paying of course) and practised the slick motion of sliding a pizza into the oven. Mum called me the chinese quivalent of prissy for needing to use a peel, but hey, have you tried sliding a pizza from the back of an overturned tray onto the baking stone in a 250 deg c oven? HOT!  and besides, how cool is having a pizza peel? Totally adds to my Italian Mama-ness.

I broke in the peel with the pizza dough recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Bread Bible. It is excellent! Plus it tastes like my favourite bread: Turkish Bread! It's been difficult finding a good recipe for it, particularly because it's not common here.. I've only seen Carrefour carry it during Ramadan (looked unauthentic) and at some Turkish restaurant...but with a little tweaking, this may be the answer! 


Seconds later, the Basil turned colour from contact with the hot pizza

Thin crust: crispy on the bottom, very soft and slightly chewy at the edges. Unique and yum!

......................................................................................................................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment