Monday, July 26, 2010

Black Forest Birthday Cake

The cake of my childhood has got to be the Black Forest. And thus my birthday cake was to be so.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bake a cake + have enough people around to finish it (share the calories), so I declared the cake as mine to bake.






The layers from top to bottom:

Flourless chocolate sponge
Custard cream with brandied cherries
Chocolate cookie
Custard cream with brandied cherries
Flourless chocolate sponge
Madeleine biscuit base











Covered with dark chocolate ganache, topped with fresh cherries and white chocolate shavings, and a cherry cupcake candle I found in Sydney!











The chocolate cookie recipe can be found here. On hindsight, it was an unnecessary layer that made the cake harder to assemble and cut.





The flourless sponge and biscuit base were amazing. Good additions to one's repertoire since they can be used for so many types of cakes. I took them from Heston Blumenthal's Black Forest Gateau Recipe, which was also the inspiration this cake. I can't believe I attempted something from that genius of a chef, and am so glad I did!

..........................................................................................................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment