This cake is similar to D's Valentine Cake, but tastes more malty like milo does.
Ingredients for a 6cm high cake in a loaf pan
40g milo powder, plus extra for sprinkling
42g dutch processed cocoa
147g hot water
220g egg whites
135g canola/vegetable oil
30g corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla
141g plain flour
21/4 tsp baking powder
11/2 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
1. In a large bowl, whisk together milo and cocoa in water till smooth. Leave to cool.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together yolks, oil and corn syrup.
3. In a yet another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar.
4. Add yolk mixture into the milo mixture. Whisk for 1 min. It should look like buttercream. Mix in vanilla.
5. Add half the flour mixture till all flour is moistened. Repeat with remaining half of the flour then beat for 1 min. It should be very thick.
6. Add the egg whites in 4 batches while folding in figure of eights with your whisk. When all the whites have been added, beat for 11/2 min. The batter should look like a thick soup.
7. Scrape batter into pan lined with parchment. Sprinkle a thick layer of milo on top. Bake at 175 deg c, 25 min on lowest oven rung.