Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pizza- the fat and the skinny

The world is divided on politics as it is on pizza crusts. Okay, I exaggerate. But like leftists and rightists, there are polar factions in the pizza world: Thick or thin? Chewy or crunchy? Bready or biscuity?

I pretty much grew up with an idea of pizza as pizza hut's deep pan pizza. Until they decided to jump onto the bandwagon of thin crusts! Suddenly it was the thinner the better- not unlike the trend with runway models! And now we've come one full circle where thicker crusts have won back part of the crowd. And critics finally decide that there's such a thing as too skinny-- for runway models, that is.





Let me introduce you to my Man-size pizza. I think it goes past the point of thick to fat.


Made with the pizza crust recipe from Rose Levy Beranbum's The Bread Bible.  I absolutely loved the heady bready flavour of the crust- the result of 4 hours of dough-rising, instead of the usual 2. It also made into a lovely garlic bread, as you can see in the background. The best part was that the crunchy shell gave way to a chewy interior. So yes, it is both crunchy and chewy! I think I hear applause.



And this is my skinny pizza.
Gives a satisfying crunch, and still bready! Which, to me, is important for a pizza. Being an italian bread, it needs to taste like bread, not like a biscuit. Made with the recipe on back of the lighthouse brand bread flour box (what a mouthful).



...............................................................................................................................................

Today, D and I took a drive to Maclaren Vale. Had great fun winding down the window and baah-ing at the grazing sheep, which looked like clouds on the ground. If I could have a pet, it'll be a sheep! And I'll keep in white and fluffy-- my personal cloud!

No comments:

Post a Comment