Monday, September 13, 2010

Blueberry pancake muffins


I was bored. I didn't feel like studying, so I baked. I haven't baked muffins for really long since my muffin craze last year, and mum just bought a punnet of blueberries...




Now the trouble with muffins is that they are actually little cakes wrapped in paper that get passed off as wholesome breakfast food. Especially if they have some kind of fruit or oats in them. So I wanted to bake a breakfast muffin that was actually healthy, ie. made with as little FAT as tastefully possible. And I think I've found the minimum fat threshold required for a muffin to still taste good. Plus I'm in a new habit of bringing food to school to munch on during the class break, because I regret all the money spent in the last 4 years buying bad tasting food that I had to eat out of convenience :( And I want something yummy to look forward to after listening to the Professor speak for 1.5 hours, knowing I have to go back for 1.5 more hours after.

Here's my solution:

30g unsalted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
a huge splash of vanilla essence
1 egg
2 squirts of maple syrup (about 1.5 tbsp total)
A pinch of salt
a liberal dash of ground cinnamon
50ml whole milk
1/2 cup self-raising flour
2 tbsp rolled oats
A generous handful of blueberries

1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except the flour and blueberries. Whisk well to aerate and combine.
3. Add the flour and fold in gently with a rubber spatula till just combined.
4. Throw in the blueberries and spoon into lined muffin tin. Bake immediately at 180 deg c for 25 min.

Makes 4 muffins.

As you can see, it's a simple recipe that doesn't require much planning. Very little clean up too! The muffins may look pasty, but they don't brown easily because of the low fat content. The milk also makes them whiter than usual. The end product is delicate, unpretentious, and allows me to make believe that I've had the time to sit down to blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

...............................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment